Effective 12 March 2014
MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC AUSTRALIA PTY. LIMITED
- At Mitsubishi Electric Australia Pty Limited ("MEAust", "us" or "we"), we understand and appreciate that you may be concerned about your privacy and about the confidentiality and security of information we may receive about you.
- We are committed to protecting your privacy and to complying with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“the Act”) (including the Australian Privacy Principles).
- Please read this policy to understand our procedures and systems relating to the collection, use, management, disclosure, protection and recording of your personal information.
- A reference to “personal information” means information or an opinion about an individual, which can be used to identify or reasonably identify that individual, whether or not it is true and whether or not it is recorded in a material form.
- For the purposes of this policy, personal information may include personal details such as:
- your name;
- email address;
- contact phone number;
- employment history;
- educational qualifications;
- government related identification such as tax file numbers; or
- your financial information such as your credit card or bank account details.
- We may also collect sensitive information such as health information and insurance policy information in respect of dealers, contracts and prospective employees.
- We collect personal information from you in order to:
- provide you with products and services in the fields of living environment products, computer peripherals, semi-conductors, automotive and industrial products, transportation and heavy engineering and telecommunications, security products and such other products and services as we may offer from time to time; and/or
- better understand your requirements and preferences, improve our services and to provide offers that may be of interest or benefit to you. For example, we collect personal information from you in order to provide you with services or when you deal with us over the telephone. Without these details we may not be able to carry on our business and provide our services to you.
- We may collect your personal information from you in a number of places, including when you visit our website, when you call, email or otherwise contact us and when you order goods or services from us.
- We may collect information directly from you. However, in certain circumstances we may collect personal information from third parties, such as recruitment agencies, dealers, contractors or retailers if individuals have made queries of them, or where we obtain information from other publicly available sources such as government websites to check ABNs or other information.
- From time to time you may be able to deal with us anonymously or by pseudonym. However, please be aware that if you do not provide us with certain personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the services and products you seek or respond to your enquiry.
- By providing us with your personal information or by using our website you are taken to have:
- consented to us collecting and otherwise dealing with that information in accordance with this policy; and
- agreed that MEAust may collect and otherwise deal with that information to the extent that it is reasonably necessary for one or more of MEAust's functions or activities.
- If you do not agree with the terms of this policy, please do not use the website or otherwise provide us with your personal information.
- When you visit our website and request information, we require your name and email address. We require this information to respond to your queries. Any information that you enter onto an online form (for example, contact details) will only be collected by us if you submit this online form. In other words, if you cancel the online form or log out prior to submitting your form, any information which you had entered is automatically deleted.
- If you browse or download information, the web server will record the date and time of your visit to our site, the pages viewed and the information downloaded. We generally use this information for statistical purposes.
Use of Personal Information
- At MEAust we respect the privacy of your personal information and will not collect, hold, use or disclose it other than for:
- the main reason for which you have provided the personal information;
- a purpose which is related to the goods or services we provide to you and which you would reasonably expect us to use the information for (for example, servicing our relationship to you or updating our records);
- where we reasonably believe that the use or disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent serious and imminent threat to an individual’s health or safety or the public’s health or safety;
- a purpose required, authorised or permitted by law; or
- a purpose made known to you and to which you have consented.
- We may use your personal information for the purposes of:
- providing you with the products and services you request;
- for marketing or promotional purposes, for example providing you with company information and updates, or to offer you promotional offers or the opportunity to participate in competitions or surveys;
- considering and responding to any application you make for employment with MEAust;
- responding to complaints or when you contact us;
- for our internal business or management purposes, for example accounting or auditing purposes; or
- for any other purpose required for us to be in compliance with our obligations under law.
- From time to time, MEAust may also use your personal information for the purpose of marketing our services, for example to send our customers marketing materials such as newsletters or promotional offers about our products and surveys.
- If you do not want to receive marketing material from us, you can unsubscribe by contacting us as detailed below:
- for electronic communications, you can click on the unsubscribe function in the communication;
- for hard copy communications, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org, with “UNSUBSCRIBE” in the subject line; or
- through our contact details set out in the “Contact Us” section below and informing us that you no longer wish to receive marketing materials from us.
Disclosure of Personal Information
- From time to time, we may disclose your personal information to third party service providers such as our insurance brokers, Jardine Lloyd Thompson, our accounting service providers, auditors, tax advisors and/or lawyers.
- Where we do provide your information to third parties, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy is protected.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information Overseas
- We may disclose your personal information to third parties outside Australia for the purposes set out in this policy or for any other purposes approved by you.
- In such a case, we will endeavour to take such steps are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the information is disclosed and used in accordance with this policy and will not be held, used or disclosed by the overseas recipient in a manner that is inconsistent with the Australian Privacy Principles or the Act.
- We take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that we maintain strict standards and procedures to:
- protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss; and
- protect your information from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure
- We will also take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to de-identify and/or destroy the personal information when it is no longer required by us, unless you otherwise request or unless the information is required under the law or a court or tribunal order.
Access and Correction of Your Personal Information
- MEAust is committed to ensuring that the personal information we:
- use relating to you is accurate, up-to-date and complete; and
- disclose in relation to you is accurate, up-to-date, complete and relevant.
- You can access the personal information MEAust holds about you by sending an email to email@example.com requesting access or by contacting us during ordinary business hours using the details set out under the heading “Contact Us.”
- We will allow you access unless we consider that there is a sound reason under the Act or other relevant law to withhold access. If we refuse to provide you with access or correct the personal information held about you by us, we will provide reasons for such refusal (unless it is not reasonable for us to do so). We may charge you a reasonable fee for responding to your access request. Your request to provide information will be dealt with within a reasonable amount of time.
- If you believe your information is inaccurate or incorrect, you may also request the correction of the personal information MEAust holds about you by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting us during ordinary business hours using the details set out under the heading “Contact Us”.
- Please contact us whenever there is a change to your personal information.
- Within 30 days of the date on which you request us to correct your personal information we will take all reasonable steps to correct the information so that it accords with the terms of this policy.
- If MEAust and you disagree about whether the information is accurate, complete and up-to-date, you can request us to associate with the information a statement claiming that the information is not accurate, complete or up-to-date and we will take reasonable steps to do so.
- If we refuse to correct your personal information, we will give you a written notice setting out the reasons for refusal (unless unreasonable for us to do so) and the mechanisms to make a complaint about the refusal.
Enquiries / Complaints
- If you have an enquiry or complaint regarding the way in which your personal information is being handled by us, please contact us in the first instance by sending an email to email@example.com or by using the details set out under the heading “Contact Us” and provide us with the nature of your enquiry or complaint.
- On receipt of a complaint we will:
- within seven (7) days of receiving the complaint, provide you with written notice acknowledging the making of the complaint and set out how we propose to investigate and deal with the complaint;
- investigate / deal with the complaint; and
- within thirty (30) days of receiving the complaint, make a decision regarding the complaint and provide you with notice setting out our decision and other matters required by law.
- If we are unable to reach an outcome in relation to a complaint satisfactory to you using the procedure set out above, you may request an independent person to investigate the complaint such as a representative of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner or another person permitted to so investigate under the Act.
- Prior to acting or omitting to act in reliance of the matters set out in this policy, we recommend that you review the policy published on our website at http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/ to ensure you are guided by the most up-to-date version of this policy.
- If you require a copy of this policy in another format, please contact us using the details set out under the heading “Contact Us”. We will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to provide you with a copy of the policy in whatever format you require free of charge as soon as practicable
- If you have any questions, complaints or require feedback about this policy, please contact the Privacy Officer by post at 348 Victoria Road, Rydalmere, NSW 2116, via email at <firstname.lastname@example.org> or by telephone on (02) 9684 7777.
- For clarity, we are happy to deal with any enquiry or complaint you may have about us on the basis that you do not identify yourself or use a pseudonym (to the extent practical).